Stonewalling can be a bad habit. It may get you out of an argument to begin with – but eventually it will take it’s toll on your relationship.
This article on the Huffington Post talks about ways you can avoid these communication sins in a relationship. These four items can hurt you: contempt, criticism, defensiveness and stonewalling. If you find this happening, try to use these skills to put your relationship back on track.
1. Stick to one topic at a time.
2. Be aware of the physical reaction you have before you stonewall.
3. Give your partner the benefit of the doubt.
4. Figure out ways to self-sooth when you start to get emotional.
5. Make a pact to not argue when you’re both exhausted.
6. If you’ve felt dismissed when you’ve opened up in the past, tell your partner.
7. If you really don’t have the energy to talk, table the discussion.