In all relationships, there comes a time when we re-evaluate them. Sometimes, it is best to break up with that toxic friend. This can be as painful as any divorce might be.
“A good friend leaves you feeling recharged and better after spending time together, not totally drained”, said Amanda Deverich, a marriage and family therapist in Williamsburg, Virginia. In this article from Huffington Post “7 Glaring Signs You Need To Break Up With A Toxic Friend” there are some very real signs when it might be time to break up with your friend, such as:
1. You do 90 percent of the listening.
2. You never hang out anymore, or you make plans and dread seeing them through.
3. You always end up hungover, broke, or facing other consequences after hanging out with them.
4. You don’t feel comfortable sharing with them anymore.
5. You feel like you’re competing with them.
6. You share only negative news.
7. They don’t respect your boundaries.
But think long and hard about how you are going to break up with them. Keep it calm and do it with dignity.
Someday, you may want to friend them again.